Employment Opportunities & Available Positions
Kennel Technician - Full or Part Time
The SPCA of Bradley County is accepting applications for Kennel Technician. Under the direct supervision of Shelter management, the Kennel Technician is responsible for maintaining the healthiest, sanitary, safe and comfortable conditions for animals in the shelter; learning the requirements for responsible animal care; sharing this information with the public; and screening potential adopters in order to ensure the best possible match between animal and adopter.
• Feed, water and safely move animals; obey all special restrictions placed on animals; exercise caution when handling animals and seek help when necessary.
• Mark all kennel cards and report any abnormalities to management as soon as possible.
• Clean and disinfect all housing and holding areas according to established guidelines in the required time periods as well as throughout the day.
• Ensure that all animals are safe and secure when cleaning is finished.
• Socialize animals as time allows.
• Have adequate understanding of The SPCA of Bradley County adoption and disposition policies and be able to communicate them to the public.
• Have adequate familiarity with all of The SPCA of Bradley County forms and their use.
• Greet all guests in a pleasant manner, being objective, courteous and reasonable at all times. Assist in directing the public to appropriate areas.
• Determine applicant suitability for adoption according to the SPCA of Bradley County’s policies.
• Counsel adopters in general care, training and ownership responsibilities.
• Respect the physical shelter and equipment; report all building, caging and environmental problems to management as soon as possible.
• Ensure that all equipment is in good repair, adequately stocked and kept neatly in its appropriate place.
• Must respect animals and believe in The SPCA of Bradley County mission and philosophy.
• Attend all scheduled meetings on and offsite.
• Assume other duties as needed. Be a team player.
• Able to follow and complete task lists each day given by Management.
• Be “On Call” one-two nights per week for the Bradley County Sheriff's Department for Emergency Animal Service which can include picking up injured and/or aggressive animals, taking custody of animals in cases of neglect, abuse, or abandonment.
• Able to work independently or work with a group.
• Ability to lead / supervise volunteers in proper handling of animals.
• 18 years or older
• High school diploma or GED required.
• Available to work an extended schedule, including weekends, early mornings, evenings and holidays according to job demands.
• Ability to accommodate adjusted schedule to cover staff shortage or shelter hours.
• Driver License and reliable transportation
• Must live in Bradley county or very close.
• To be active, dependable, and flexible
• Be able to complete basic household chores such as sweeping, mopping, dishes, and laundry.
• Able to handle big and/or difficult dogs.
• Must be able to pass a drug test.
• Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds.
• Experience / comfortable with both cats and dogs
• Access to Facebook
• Experience working with animals and/or rescue
• Past experience volunteering (especially in the animal field)
• Any kennel experience